A lot of people doesn’t know what to do with tofu. Tofu is very plain in taste, you need to give a tasty sauce to enhance its flavor. Here is a quick and healthy dish you could make for your kids and family!
- 1 – 1 ½ cup of Ground Beef
- 1 block of tofu (1 package)
- ½ cup of minced carrots
- ½ cup of minced zucchini
- 2 tsp of ginger juice
- 1 tsp soy sauce
- 1 clove garlic (minced)
- 1 ½ tbsp. oyster sauce
- ¾ cup of water
- 1 tsp corn starch
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- Salt a pinch
- Pepper a little
- Green onion (for topping)
- Marinate your beef with minced garlic, ginger juice, salt, pepper. Set aside for at least 15-20 min (if mommies are running out of time, cook them right the way is fine too)
- Put the block of tofu on a plate, cut them in small cubes. Set aside
- Prepare your sauce in a bowl; add oyster sauce, soy sauce, sugar, water and sesame oil. Set aside
- In a cooking pan, put some oil with medium high heat
- Brown your marinated beef until 70% cooked
- add carrots and zucchini in beef, cook about 2 min to let the vegetables gets a bit tender
- Add sauce in your beef (don’t add all your sauce, save 1/3 to use later), cook all together for about 5-10 min (Tip 1)
- Add corn starch to 1/3 of sauce you have saved earlier and then add in to your beef stew
- Add all your tofu cubes in your beef stew, reheat until your tofu is hot enough. (Tip 2)
- Add green onion for topping
- Ready to serve with hot white rice!
- Let your beef cook in sauce is an important step. It is where you let the beef flavor release in your sauce. I suggest to cook between 5-10 min, adjust your time depending in your preference and time that you have on hand. But this step will also allow the carrots and zucchini to cook through as well. It will be all tender and kids usually eats better their vegetables when they are soak in yummy sauce. My son eats well his vegetables this way.
- I don’t really move or stir my tofu cubes here. Tofu is very delicate and I like to serve them in nice cubes at the table. Once I place them on top of my braise beef, I make sure that the tofu is touching the sauce so it will heat up along while the sauce is cooking.