I saw this wonderful Oyako-don online and wanted to replicate this dish to my lovely husband. He loves any Japanese dishes you can think of ! He actually ate 3 bowls of rice and was holding himself not to get more. All the hard work has been paid off, beside, is not hard to make.
- 2 chicken breast, slice in long pieces
- 1 large onion, slice thin cuts
- 3 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp mirin
- 1 tbsp sake
- 2 tsp sugar (adjust to your taste for more or less)
- ½ cup chicken broth
- 2 eggs lightly beaten (Tip 1)
- A few dry seaweed for toppings
- A few black sesame seed for toppings
- chopped green onion for toppings (optional)
- Put onion, soy sauce, mirin, sake, sugar, chicken broth in a pot
- Open medium high heat to bring it to boil
- When liquid is boiling, add your chicken in pot, reduce your heat to medium low, cover with lid for about 5 min (Tip 2)
- Uncover your lid and move all your chicken in the center of your pot. You should have about 2/3 of liquid left in your pot (Tip 3)
- add 2/3 of your egg on the chicken, cover lid for about 25 seconds
- uncover lid and add the rest of 1/3 of your egg on chicken and all over, cover for about 10-15 seconds (Tip 4)
- put dish directly on a nice bowl of white rice
- add toppings green onion, seaweed, black sesame seed
- ready to serve !
- Don’t over beat your egg, it will give you a nice white and yellow color in your dish
- I slice my chicken not too thick so it takes about 5 min to cook them at 80% cooked. The rest of the cooking time follow will cook through entirely my chicken meat. Over cook chicken meat is not what you want.
- This dish taste better if not too watery I find. So insuring your liquid is not over 2/3 is to ensure the quality of your dish. You could turn the heat a little higher to vaporize more liquid before you add in the eggs if you wish.
- Adding the eggs in two differents time creates a fun texture in your dish. The end result of your eggs should not be too raw though if you are serving your kid. Adjust and ensure your eggs texture to what your family likes. The time suggested is how my family likes =)