My husband bought me “Farine de sarrasin” (Buckwheat flour) a few weeks ago, I didn’t really know much about buckwheat before. Just remember I have ordered some buckwheat pancakes in the past as breakfast at a restaurant and it was damn expensive. What is Buckwheat anyway? Well, Buckwheat is not a cereal grain as most people think but is a seed of a broadleaf plant related to rhubarb. Here are some interesting health benefits of consuming buckwheat into our diet.
- High in fiber (good news for kiddo who are not fan of vegetables!!)
- Great for the digestion
- Best source of high quality, easily digestible proteins
- Chemical free
- Good at drawing out retained water
- Contains no gluten and is not a grain
- Non allergenic
- Good for your cardiovascular system
- High in manganese, magnesium, cooper and zinc, which are great for immune system (good choice for kiddo)
Since it is the first time I make buckwheat pancake for my son, I wanted to go easy on the quantity. And at my big big surprise, he loves my new pancakes texture better than my regular flour pancakes. So that means I will use this new healthier recipes from now on.
- 2/3 cup of flour (about 100-110g)
- 1/3 cup buckwheat (about 37g)
- 1 egg
- 1 cup and 2 tbsp of water (Tip 3)
- 4 tsp of sugar
- 1 dash of vanilla
- A pinch of salt
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- Add flour, buckwheat flour, sugar, salt and baking powder in a large bowl
- Then add egg, vanilla as well.
- Then slowly incorporate water as you stir on the other hand in the bowl
- You could let the batter rest for 30min or so. If rush in time, I sometime use it right the way and it is still fine
- Start medium heat, add some oil
- Add about 2 tbsp pancake batter in cooking pan.
- Spread evenly your batter in pan to create an even size circle.
- Cook about 1 min each side (Tip 1)
- Serve with desires toppings! (Tip 2)
- I don’t like over cook my pancake, 1 min cooking time each side is how I did it. Please feel free to adjust your cooking time, depending on your pan, your stove heat power.
- I will be serving my husband asparagus, ham and cheese next time. It should be a good combination to try out.
- Adjust your water for the density of your final favorite pancake. adding a bit more water for a lighter style and 1 cup will give you medium light style pancake that my family likes best.