Coming from Hong Kong, the taste of street pot rice brings me back a lot of childhood memories. I would make them from time to time because it is so delicious and it also saved me lots of time. One pot has all the flavor and nutrient you and your family need. You could make lots of different flavor to vary your menu as well; here are a few ideas you could consider as well! For those who are interested for me to post more pot rice series, let me know, I will go ahead and make a pot rice series.
- Black bean and garlic short ribs pot rice
- Marinated minced pork and ginger pot rice
- Runny egg and hot beef pot rice
- 1 cup of rice
- 1 cup and 1 tbsp water
- 1 chicken breast cut in pieces
- 3-4 dried Chinese mushroom
- a few Goji
- 6 Red dates
- 1 chopped green onion (for toppings)
- 1 chinese dried sausage (optional if desire)
- 1 tsp Chinese wine
- 2 tsp Soy sauce
- A dash Sesame oil
- ½ oil
- ½ tsp Oyster sauce
Pot rice soy sauce mix:
- 1 ½ tbsp oil
- 1 clove minced garlic
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- ½ tsp sugar
- Marinate your chicken with chicken marinated sauce (see ingredient section), set aside
- Soak red date, dried mushroom and Goji in a bowl of water
- Once mushroom are rehydrated, cut them in slices, set aside
- Remove the red dates’ core when they are rehydrated, set aside
- Take a pot and put rice in pot (Tip 1)
- Add water with rice. The ratio of water is 1 cup of rice with 1 cup and 1 tbsp of water. Open medium high heat and let the water bring to boil and evaporate the liquid, for about 6-8 min (until about 80% water have evaporated) (Tip 2)
- Quickly add your chicken, red dates, mushrooms and Goji on top of rice
- Cover your lid and change to low heat. cook for 15 min.
- Turn off your fire
- DO NOT open your cover, leave it for another 12 min (make sure turn off your heat).
- After 12 min, Pour soy sauce on top of your chicken and rice and stir well (Tip 3)
- Add green onion as toppings
- If you have time, soak your rice 30min in water, it will give you a more silky soft rice. If no time, this step is not mandatory. If you soak your rice, the water ratio changes to 1:1 and no longer 1 rice with 1 cup + 1 tbsp as indicated above.
- When you see the water is 80% evaporated then this step is achieved, watch your pot carefully for this step since each stove could heat up different and time require could slightly change.
- To make your soy sauce mix, heat a pan medium high heat and put your oil first. once oil is hot then add garlic in. brown them for about 20 seconds and make sure not to over burn them, watch your fire. your goal is just to infuse some garlic flavor into your oil. Put garlic and oil in a bowl and add soy sauce and sugar in, et voila!