Today, I am sharing one of my favorite dish; Japanese Cha chiu. I have an obsession with Japanese food. I just can’t control thinking and wanting to eat Japanese food. And the day that I have discovered how to make Japanese Ramen Cha chiu, it was the happiest day of my LIFE.
Just looking at this fat rolled cha chiu makes me want to have a nice Cha Chiu ramen right now!
This time, my husband helped me to use a torch to grill the surface of my cha chiu. My kitchen instantly smell like a real Japanese restaurent !!!
A Japanese Ramen recipe is coming up real soon, stay tune !!!
- about 1 lb of pork belly
- 2 slices of ginger
- 1 green onion
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1-2 shallot
- 1 1/3 cup of water
- 2/3 cup of sake
- 2/3 of soy sauce
- 1/3 cup of mirin
- 3 tbsp brown or white sugar
- a roll of meat rope
- Take pork belly and start to rope into a long cha chiu shape
- once your meat is secured with rope, brown pork belly into a pan. Brown all sides is important
3. prepare your marinate broth in a casserole; water, sake, mirin, sugar, shallots, garlic, ginger and green onion
4. add your golden browned cha chiu into marinate broth
5. cover with a aluminium sheet, this will help releasing some steam but keep the cha chiu moist and warm. cook for 1 hour and 15 min with lowest heat
6. take out cha chiu after cooking time. Let the cha chiu cool down on a plate. (don’t keep it the marinate) and let the marinate broth to cool down separately as well
7. once the cha chiu has cool down, put back the sauce and cha chiu in a container. Let the cha chiu sit in the fridge for overnight or at least 4 hours
8. Next, take out your cha chiu and cut them in slices.
9. If you wish, torch the top of your cha chiu meat before serving, it will add an amazing flavor to your cha chiu!
10. Serve them in ramen noodles or on a hot steamy rice as desire!