I wanted to find new ways to make my chinese dumplings at home. Old fashions style are nice but wanted to get creative and try something new in my kitchen lab. At my surprise, after my testings, my family loves the long flat simple shape. And it is the most easy folding. Which one do you like?
These cute dumplings are best for guests for upcoming Chinese New year !
As I said my family loved my style 3 dumplings, especially my son. He liked the crust that are more even, he loved the way he could hold his dumplings in a long shape. He said he could taste the filling from one end to the other end of the dumplings and loving the fact he could hold his dumplings like a sausage!
In addition, I found a trick to make my dumplings crust just like the way I had them in Japan. A thin chip style crust at the bottom.
- 1 lb pork
- 10-12 shrimps
- 1 cup chinese chives
- 1 glove garlic
- 1 pack of dumpling wraps
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 2 tsp corn starch
- 1/2 tsp chicken powder
- 1/4 tsp white pepper powder
- 1 tbsp water or chicken stock
- a pinch of salt
Chip style crust:
- 1 tbsp korean pancake flour mix
- 4 tbsp water
- minced pork meat in food processor and ground meat until smooth but with some texture, dont over ground your meat. add 1 gloves of garlic minced and blend in pork (you could also use ground pork from grocery to save time)
- cut shrimp in small pieces, set aside
- minced chinese chives, discard the flower section just use the green part then set aside
- mix pork, shrimp and chinese chives in a large bowl. add in all marinate ingredients in the bowl. mix well. set aside for at least 30min
- Use either round shape or square shape dumpling wraps
- I choosed square shape for following pictures. Put meat filling in the center of your dumpling wrap, roll the wrap upper and close the edge with water
- add oil in pan at medium high heat
- put dumplings in pan, brown your dumplings for about 30 second
- add korean pancake water mix, pour mixture on dumplings. cover with lid for about 3 minutes with medium low heat
- add 1/2 tbsp oil around the dumplings crust, cover lid for about 1 min. This step will ensure your nice dumpling thin crust
- ready to serve