- 1 1/2 lb of ground pork belly meat
- 3 green onion (optional)
- 3 tbsps rice wine
- 3-5 cloves of garlic
- 2 tbsps sugar (or a piece of rock sugar that i used)
- 20 g ginger
- 1-2 cup water or chicken broth (ideally to cover your meat as it cooks)
- 6 tbsps of soy sauce
- 2 anises
- salt to taste if requires
Marinate the pork meat:
- 1 tsp soy sauce
- 1/2 tsp five spice powder
- little white powder
- 1 tsp rice wine
- 1 tsp ginger juice
1. I used pork belly and ground it myself at home. I found pork belly is better quality of pork to make this dish, great proportion of meat and fat ratio. 2. Ground shallot, garlic and ginger in food processor
3. with medium high fire, add oil and start brown the minced shallot first. and then add the pork as well
4. Brown your pork in 2-3 batches if it requires to make nice browning. it is an important step to make a nice taste in your stew.
5. Is best to transfer golden brown meat into another deeper pot for stew cooking.
6. add all your golden browned pork in your pot, rock sugar, green onion (if desires), all sauce and start the pork stew cooking with low heat for 2 hours. (make sure that there are only small bubble in your cooking. Note: The rock sugar serves to tender your pork.
7. The sauce should cover your meat as you cook, if not enough liquid then add either water or chicken broth to cover up your meat level. Check your fire to make sure your fire is not too high and dry up your liquid. Do not use high heat, I use low on my stove.
8. once pork stew is ready, serve with rice or vermicelli soup. Happy cooking !